Monday, May 27, 2019

Back to writing


Wow, it's close to 9 years since I posted a blog, thanks to google for still preserving my blogspot. I was once proud of myself for being optimistic, I still remember how instead of cursing myself for my forgetfulness, I smiled thinking it helped me walk(an exercise) to my house to pick my phone. However, of late, I did become a victim of negativity and haven't been the same. I want to start being positive and therefore decided that it is a good idea to talk about the positive aspects of any topic I pick up.

I would like to start with a review of the movie "To Let". The best aspect of the movie is its simplicity. The scene that shows the lead actress striking the tv remote control on her hand tells you how close the movie is to reality. It's a very common scene in a lower-middle-class family. The movie shows a couple and a kid in a small rented house, the struggle they go through with the owner and how difficult it is for a person in the film industry to find a rented house. It is very true on how we love the stars in the movies and in fact celebrate them, however, when it comes to the workers behind the scenes, there is a common notion that people from the film industry tend to be immoral. There are several scenes that show how we could turn small incidents into happiness and all of them make you smile, it tells us to appreciate these moments in life. There is an instance in the movie which also depicts how a lower-middle-class person wants to be honest and yet lies in order to fulfill his family's wish. It is also not uncommon for a common man to start a search for a home at minimum rent and then, how he raises the amount. The kid in the movie did a great job and makes you smile most of the time. The time when he acts as a person showing a house to a prospective tenant, the best part is towards the end of the movie when he tries to erase all the pictures that he had drawn on the walls to ensure that the walls are clean.

It is definitely a great movie showing the day to day life of a common family in a city. It is a shame that this movie cannot be a commercial hit and wouldn't give a lot of money to the producers. I respect all the souls who made/involved in this movie. While there are several movies missing a very silly detail, the director's attention to detail in the movie needs a special mention. I wish Chezhiyan, the director to make more films like these. A search on the director shows that this movie already won the national award in the "best feature film" category in Tamil. It should be a dream come true for the debutant director who had previously done cinematography for a number of films (Kallori, Paradesi,...).

No comments: